[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:12:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: Speedy
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2009 7:46 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

The problem with the written word vs the spoken word is the lack of voice inflection, etc.

I NEVER want to appear arrogant or conceited. This was a serious question and not meant to be bragging in any way. Just because I have a stack of prints does not mean that any of them are any good. Just because I like something doesn't mean that any of them are any good. It's just that after having put some distance between myself and making the
photo I find that it is easier to be more objective.

I am interested in learning how other people view their own work. It was a serious question
with a hopefully humorous preface...

Maybe I should try the Scotch!

Thanks!
Speedy

Well, I've had the same experience with both pictures and writing. That is seeing them after a long time and thinking they were pretty good. I occassionally come across something I've written on a web site and not recognized it at first. Raymond Chandler (wrote Philip Marlowe) wrote in one of his letters that he read one of his own novels on a train trip years after writing it and thought it was pretty good.