[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: "Tim Rudman" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:14:33 +0100

"Just because I have a stack of prints does not mean that any
of them are any good."

Whoa there Speedy. Why should they not be good?! Don't ever be ashamed of
liking your own work or rating it highly. This brings excitement and a boost
to productivity and personal growth.

Being your own worst critic can be a very good thing and something not
everyone seems capable of.

If it is TOO strong a self criticism it can be destructive but mostly IME it
is a quality (word chosen deliberately as I think of it as a positive
attribute) that often is under-developed.

As you grow you will look back on these works and your opinion of some will
change and of others will be validated. You will learn from both in my
experience.

Your post didn't sound conceited to me J

Tim

From: dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:33:28 -0700
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On May 12, 2009, at 06:50, Speedy wrote:

How do you overcome being "your own worst critic?"

Speed

The first impulse to your question is to make a joke of it or not take it
seriously because of the way you ask it.  It sounds like you are bragging
about how much work you have in your boxes and people wanting to buy it and
you just want us to tell you how to accept that you are greater than you
sometimes think you are.  My initial answer was going to be that you should
drink more scotch when you are looking, and don't look at your work when you
have a hangover.

But if your question is not about liking your great work more than you
already do, and instead it is about how to judge your own work in the long
term.  I think the thing to do, and it is what I do, is to go through your
work a lot and put it up in your space so you can look at it and get
impressions from it over a period of time. And especially put questionable
work up in mats and frames and see if the questions resolve themselves.

I currently have matted on my counter a photograph I took some 20 years ago
that is good in many ways but I have never been able to settle with it
completely.  I recently encountered it again in a very nice platinum print
and now after all this time I am having unreserved affection for it.   Often
what happens is I pull out an image that I didn't quite like a number of
years ago when it was new and I find I like it quite a lot now.  Then I put
it up on display and after a few days I find I still have the original
problems with liking it.  So I put it back in the box again.

My own problem is that I like my new work way more than I probably should.
After looking at it and thinking it is pretty good,  I put it up on display
and after awhile I discover that it is weaker than I thought.   Time to try
again.

Dennis

  _____

Insert movie times and more without leaving HotmailR. See how.
<http://windowslive.com/Tutorial/Hotmail/QuickAdd?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_HM_Tutor
ial_QuickAdd1_052009>

16:14:00