[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: Dennis Purdy <dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:33:28 -0700

On May 12, 2009, at 06:50, Speedy wrote:

How do you overcome being "your own worst critic?"

Speed

The first impulse to your question is to make a joke of it or not take it seriously because of the way you ask it. It sounds like you are bragging about how much work you have in your boxes and people wanting to buy it and you just want us to tell you how to accept that you are greater than you sometimes think you are. My initial answer was going to be that you should drink more scotch when you are looking, and don't look at your work when you have a hangover.

But if your question is not about liking your great work more than you already do, and instead it is about how to judge your own work in the long term. I think the thing to do, and it is what I do, is to go through your work a lot and put it up in your space so you can look at it and get impressions from it over a period of time. And especially put questionable work up in mats and frames and see if the questions resolve themselves.

I currently have matted on my counter a photograph I took some 20 years ago that is good in many ways but I have never been able to settle with it completely. I recently encountered it again in a very nice platinum print and now after all this time I am having unreserved affection for it. Often what happens is I pull out an image that I didn't quite like a number of years ago when it was new and I find I like it quite a lot now. Then I put it up on display and after a few days I find I still have the original problems with liking it. So I put it back in the box again.

My own problem is that I like my new work way more than I probably should. After looking at it and thinking it is pretty good, I put it up on display and after awhile I discover that it is weaker than I thought. Time to try again.
Dennis