[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 14:46:15 +0000

The problem with the written word vs the spoken word is the lack of voice
inflection, etc.

I NEVER want to appear arrogant or conceited.  This was a serious question and
not meant
to be bragging in any way.  Just because I have a stack of prints does not mean
that any
of them are any good.  Just because I like something doesn't mean that any of
them are
any good.  It's just that after having put some distance between myself and
making the
photo I find that it is easier to be more objective.

I am interested in learning how other people view their own work.  It was a
serious question
with a hopefully humorous preface...

Maybe I should try the Scotch!

Thanks!
Speedy

From: dlp4777@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:33:28 -0700
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On May 12, 2009, at 06:50, Speedy wrote:How do you overcome being "your own
worst critic?"

Speed
The first impulse to your question is to make a joke of it or not take it
seriously because of the way you ask it.  It sounds like you are bragging about
how much work you have in your boxes and people wanting to buy it and you just
want us to tell you how to accept that you are greater than you sometimes think
you are.  My initial answer was going to be that you should drink more scotch
when you are looking, and don't look at your work when you have a hangover.But
if your question is not about liking your great work more than you already do,
and instead it is about how to judge your own work in the long term.  I think
the thing to do, and it is what I do, is to go through your work a lot and put
it up in your space so you can look at it and get impressions from it over a
period of time. And especially put questionable work up in mats and frames and
see if the questions resolve themselves.  I currently have matted on my counter
a photograph I took some 20 years ago that is good in many ways but I have
never been able to settle with it completely.  I recently encountered it again
in a very nice platinum print and now after all this time I am having
unreserved affection for it.   Often what happens is I pull out an image that I
didn't quite like a number of years ago when it was new and I find I like it
quite a lot now.  Then I put it up on display and after a few days I find I
still have the original problems with liking it.  So I put it back in the box
again.My own problem is that I like my new work way more than I probably
should.  After looking at it and thinking it is pretty good,  I put it up on
display and after awhile I discover that it is weaker than I thought.   Time to
try again.Dennis