[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 19:13:01 -0500

John wrote:
> Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>> <Diving Into The Pool>
>>
>> 1) We make art for ourselves not anyone else.
>
> Not even for the critics? Look to who have 'made it' in the last 100 years.

Never.  There are precious few people left that are worthy critics of
any of the arts.  (For a very happy counterexample, I encourage everyone
here to subscribe to "The New Criterion", arguably the most literate
of the critical magazines around: http://www.newcriterion.com/).

I don't worry about "making it" because, as I said, I long ago figured
out I cared too much about photography to put myself in the position
of being forced to do stuff I didn't like - so I found another way
to pay my way through life.  I live my artist's life in happy
obscurity doing the work I love on my own terms.  Trust me when I
tell you this beats trying to make some aunt of the bride happy :)