[pure-silver] Re: Self Critiism (WAS Is anyone out there???)

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 15:49:19 -0500

K W Hart wrote:
> From: "Tim Daneliuk" <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> snip
>>>

>> <Diving Into The Pool>
>>
>> 1) We make art for ourselves not anyone else.  The only person to be
>> satisfied
>>   is thus the artist - each of us - on our own terms, with our own
>> vision.
>>
>> 2) The artist should be merciless in demanding the very best of
>> themselves,
>>   discarding anything that does not meet their own expectations.
>>
>> 3) Our understanding and appraisal of our own work will change over time.
>>   This is both because we (hopefully) mature as artists and because our
>>   understanding/vision changes as we go through the orbit of life.  If
>>   you do 1) and 2) then you will never look back with regret at the stuff
>>   you've done because of 3) - you'll just see new possibilities.
>>
>> 4) It is not arrogant to pursue any of this.  It's as necessary as
>> breathing
>>   for a good many of us.
>>
>> 5) People around you who are not into making art will never get any of
>> this
>>   and it's pointless to even try to explain it.
>>
>> <Drying Off>
>>
>> --
>>
>> Tim Daneliuk     tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> PGP Key:         http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/
>>

> If this is your original text, you should copyright it. If it isn't,
> could you please tell us the author?
> I think you have pretty much wrapped up this thread.

It's original.  Permission hereby given to reproduce in any way,
medium, or manner you choose so long as you give me authorial
attribution.

> Someone may argue point #1 by suggesting what about when you are
> commissioned to create a photograph; you are creating that work for
> someone else. Hopefully the buyer is aware of the artist's work and has
> selected the artist based on that work. In which case, the artist should
> create the commissioned work on his own terms, in accordance with his
> own vision.

I would argue that most commissioned work is primarily commercial,
not artistic in nature - I'm not saying one is better than the other,
merely different.  It is rare to get a commission that says, "Make
some art."  Usually, it's more like "Take pictures of my drooling
children and make them seem charming."

> Your post has earned a place on my darkroom bulletin board. But don't
> get too puffed up- it will go beside the MSDS bulletins!

I am thus honored :)