[pure-silver] Re: Problem with 2 tray hypo (fixer).

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2009 08:15:28 -0500

Bogdan Karasek wrote:

No need to worry on that account, the Saran Wrap is a one shot deal.
 Putting it down is another matter.... you need four hands even with
the least clinging stuff.  anybody have an easy solution for covering
up their filled trays overnight.  I had thought of using a plexiglass
 covers floating on the top of the chemicals but the sides of the
trays have a slight slope to them and varying levels of chemicals in
them, so it is very hard to get a tight fit.  I was thinking of
something along the lines of the flotation lids on the old tanks for
developing sheet film, but here, the sides were a straight vertical
so you always had a reasonably good fit.

While my prints are in the final wash, I use the time to clean up the darkroom. I keep my chemicals in brown glass bottles with Bakelite screw caps. I always dump the developer and, if I am using Amidol developer, I dump the stop bath. I filter the fixers back into their regular bottles (where I mark the number of sheets processed). I use a cotton ball in a funnel to do the filtering. That way I do not need any plastic wrap.

I do not leave stuff in trays overnight because, even were I to use plastic wrap, it would have to be in contact with the solutions; otherwise, the solutions would just absorb the oxygen in the air above the solution.

 ^^-^^ 07:55:01 up 27 days, 14:29, 3 users, load average: 4.34, 4.39, 4.40