[pure-silver] Problem with 2 tray hypo (fixer).

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:02:38 -0500

Hello,

I need some advice/clarification regarding my fixer. When printing fiber paper, I use the two tray method for my fixer and I mix it myself using Sodium Thiosulfate in distilled water. When tray I is exhausted, I do the usual routine, move the hypo in tray II to tray I and mix a fresh gallon of hypo for tray II.

Recently, a phenomenon has happened for which I have no explanation. If I am doing intensive work over several days, I leave the the chemicals, Stop and Hypo (developer gets changed everyday) in their trays overnight but each tray is covered with Saran Wrap to prevent oxidation. Never had a problem until last week. Overnight, Hypo II changed colour to a light amber (see photo) whereas hypo I did not. I checked hypo II for exhaustion using Edwal's Hypochek and everything was clear. As a precautionary measure, I mixed fresh hypo for tray II, covered it with Saran Wrap at the end on the evening and next morning, tray II has the amber colour whereas tray I is clear. I checked tray II with the Hypochek and again, no evidence of exhaustion.

Since an image is worth a 1000 words, what you see in the photo are the contents of tray I on the left, clear, and tray II on the right, amber coloured.

By the way, the developer is Dektol 1:2 and the stop is Kodak Indicator Stop Bath. Nothing has changed in my procedure, same trays for the past number of years, always mix chemicals with distilled water.

Anybody have an explanation?  This has never happened to me before.

http://s873.photobucket.com/albums/ab296/bkarasek/?action=view&current=Hypo12-01.jpg

Cheers,
bogdan