[pure-silver] Re: Problem with 2 tray hypo (fixer).

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 00:21:32 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 2:07 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Problem with 2 tray hypo (fixer).

"Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I got curious and wrote to S.C.Johnson, the maker of Saran Wrap, to ask if any oxygen permeability tests were ever made. I suspect they have but will know when they answer. The same company also makes Zip-Lok bags and many other products. Saran Wrap is polyethylene.

Saran wrap was made by Dow chemical.  It was
polyvinylidene chloride (PVDC) and was impermeable to pretty much everything. Saran is Dow's trade name
for PVDC.

The name "Saran Wrap" was sold to Johnson who uses it to sell a completely different and badly performing product in the US and Canada. It is now a polyethylene
wrap like Glad & Co, and is quite permeable - even
small bacilli can pass through it.

The product sold in the EU is (was?) still made from
PVDC.

The closest one can come to <real> Saran wrap is PVC
shrink-film wrap sold for meat packaging.  I believe
Costco carries PVC wrap.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121

That explains why I found the S.C.Johnson statement about the material puzzling. I did remember than Saran was invented and sold by Dow but had only a vague memory of the name of the material. We will see what is in their answer. BTW they mention that they no longer used chlorine in the wrap. Evidently this was a cause of enironmental problems of some sort.