[Precisionix-General] Re: Name change

  • From: "Fergus Allan" <f_w_allan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <precisionix-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 09:58:53 -0000

Who is Chinese on this group?  How many people?

Off memory about 6 years ago (maybe more) the Chinese government started a
project for linux.  This was also part of a ploy to get lower Windows
prices, but also, a serious use of linux.  Lots of governments are seriously
looking at linux.  The French police and a few others have already migrated
to it.  (It was the same year Bill Gates visited downing street or there
abouts).

Remember there are 1.2B Chinese people, and a lot of very good programmers
within that community.  They are already Chinese distros of linux - but I
cant read CJK (alright I know about 5 symbols out of a very large number).

There are some weaknesses in linux, here is my list:

        1: The linux community has a habit of trying to emulate the features
in Windows.  Its worst features.

        2: The installation process is still poor, and very slow compared to
Windows XP.

        3: The performance is slow in a lot of respects.

        4: Installing software is a nightmare compared to windows.  I can
often install small programs on windows.  Linux tends to have very large
dependencies.

        5: The interdependencies in linux software is excessive.  Its the
biggest failure area, and I have frequently encountered circular
dependencies or version incompatibilities.

I installed freebsd 4.4 some time ago.  I almost fell off my chair how fast
it is.  I installed 6.  Its as slow as the rest.

I don’t know why the modern distros have become so slow.  Remember, these
used to run on 486 processors.

Something else to throw into the mix, I used to have an Amiga 1000.  (Still
got it actually).  It's power supply is 25 watts(input) and was produced
around 1984.

Even my super latest Intel 8300 laptop has a power supply of 150W (input).

This does not even take into account improvements in rectifying electricity,
so the computer end would be worse.

I think there needs to be a clear set of objectives.

Sorting out the packages and dependencies would be an excellent step, but
given the efforts else where, I think its a difficult problem.

Fergus