[Precisionix-General] Name change

  • From: "Robert O'Callahan" <ropoctl@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: precisionix-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 23:32:14 -0500

Andrew asked me to join this to suggest new names for the project.  I
think a linux distro could distinguish itself by courting Chinese
desktop users.  Right now, all (generalizations are generally accurate
for the Chinese) Chinese desktop users run pirated copies of Windows.
While, their government's claims that they are cracking down on piracy
are unlikely, I think it still is an untapped linux desktop market.
Just package emule, skype, and msn (all Chinese use these programs)
compatible clients along with out-of-box tor, decent CJK fonts, and
SCIM/SKIM, and it would be an easy sell as superior to Windows.  This
is the largest untapped Linux market.  There would be some conflict
over being unsanctioned by their government, but this just means our
distro will be distrod via emule.

This could still be a multilingual-supporting distro, but attracting
Chinese users would be an easy way to make it successful.

I don't care much for the name PrescioNix.  I suggest Inschato, since
everyone who I've ever mentioned that string to has commented how
catchy it is.  If you guys are interested in the Chinese tack, I
suggest Kuai Long (Fast Dragon).

-Rob