-=PCTechTalk=- Re: audacity program question, recording from tape to computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 02:22:16 -0400

I'll have to install and fire up the program to see if there's an issue with
all that "red".  It could be that they use a different color scheme that
goes against what I said earlier.  If the original recorder had its own
built-in microphone, it should have recorded equally on both sides, but it
would still be considered as a monophonic recording since both sides were
receiving the same sound.  What I suspect has happened is that the tape
itself is reaching the end of its useful life and losing magnetic particles,
more on one side than the other which would cause the differences you're
seeing/heading.

    If you're not seeing any difference when adjusting the gains, then they
are not set to do what you're expecting them to do.  They may still be set
as input gain control if you're listening back to what has already been
ripped to the hard drive.  If you're trying to rip it now, the gain may be
set to something other than the input from the 'line in' or however you're
bringing the signal into the computer.

    If the tape automatically rewound itself, it's because your tape deck is
designed to do that with all tapes when they get to the end.  Most tape
decks can do this and there may be a control somewhere to turn off that
behavior.