-=PCTechTalk=- Re: audacity program question, recording from tape to computer

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 00:00:28 -0400

It's not hard to create seamless gaps so that each song or section can have
its own track number.  When played one right after the other, they would
blend together as if there's no gap (since there isn't one), but you would
still be able to select the track number and have the player start at the
beginning of the desired song.  The problem with trying to automate it comes
in where you have a long file with no silences, such as what you experience
with your live performance tapes.  The automated utilities (built into the
editor or separate) look for silences and then place their markers in the
middle of those (and then let you edit them in case they got something
wrong).  However, if there are no silences (such as a live performance),
these utilities are basically worthless.

Your best bet then would be to use your eyes and learn to recognize patterns
in the waveforms in front of you.  Study places where there is no music
(only audience sounds) and then use that knowledge to quickly run through an
entire tape's waveform looking for them.  It'll take some practice, but
you'll get quite good at seeing them before you even try listening to them
to make sure you're right.  Since the entire waveform will be laid out on a
timeline, you can simply jot down the time locations for the breaks you find
and break them up manually when you're finished editing the entire file.  As
you "Save As" each piece (song) as its own separate WAV file, name it by
starting with the track number it will represent (i.e. 1-My Dog Died, 2-My
Wife Left Me, 3-My Kids Don't Listen To Me Anymore, etc.)  When you're ready
to burn the project, go into the settings for whatever burning program you
choose to use and tell it to leave 0 seconds between tracks.  Then, load
each track in order of the numbers and let 'er burn.  You'll end up with
everything you want.  Seamless live performance when played from first to
last song, and the ability to jump to the beginning of any song you wish to
isolate.             ;O)