-=PCTechTalk=- Re: audacity program question, recording from tape to computer

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:22:45 -0400

So..you do not first save your project as a .aup file? (audacity project
file?).  You import the file that has say for instance one whole side of a
cassette tape as a "wav" file and then later drag it in audacity to edit it?
What is the diff in saving it first as an .aup file than importing it as a
wav when you can later import it as a wave file, save time this way, plus it
must be a huge file to work with too.

Cristy,
    When I work on projects, especially those with a lot of files or
different performances, I rip them to the hard drive first.  I also name
them with something to describe what they are.  If the details are
"MyBandName - Shooters B&G St.Pat's day - 1989", the folder for this file
would be "MyBandName" and the file itself would be named "Shooters B&G
St.Pat's day (1989).wav".  Once all of the ripping is completed and all
files are in their respective folders and named appropriately, then I can
take them one at a time into the "Editing Room" as needed.

>    When I'm in the "Editing Room", I will only work with a Copy of one of
> the files at a time and I make a separate folder for the results.  If I'm
> breaking up a long recording into discrete tunes (something I never do
> with
> live recordings until all else has been done), I'll first check to see if
> all of them were recorded with the same signal strength.

I have cassette tapes that have "voice lessons", live song recordings, and
more that may or may not have been recorded on the day day or time or same
volume even so they would not all necessarily have been recorded with the
same signal strength right?  This can make it hard for me to work with the
entire big file all at once but rather split them up and then work with each
individually which I can send each individual song file to be burned all at
once on a CD?

I know there is a way to label each song as you go somehow with and then
perhaps save or burn multiple files at once.  Ok, just read below again,
some of mine will be from different sources, some not so more work for me I
guess!  On many of the live voice lessons from my old teacher, I will want
to edit out much of the talk inbetween the actual scales being taught/sung,
meaning the talk that is not associated with the lesson going on at the
time.

I see I have my work "cut out" for me, that is cut and pasted out
lol...spliced/diced and otherwise..why does this project seem overwhelming
now all of the sudden?  Wish my current course I am taking would give me
credit for this project ;0..you see I dont mind working so hard on something
I am really into.

>  For a separate project like that, I should be able to
> construct another seemingly 'live' disk by cross recording one track to
> the
> next, using audience noise as my buffer between the tunes, as needed.

What do you mean by "cross recording" taking a song wave you created or a
track you created and cut and pasting it into another track?

Can I pull in a previously created .wav I made into audacity, then pull
in/add another into that same track and continue like that to create a
CD/disk and just label each song inbetween each?

I always try to work with copies of things.  By copies of files, you mean
copies of .wav files you created from audacity already?

To best answer your question, I don't use most editing software's
> ability to group things into projects.  Instead, I rely on using Copies of
> files to protect the originals and I usually end up saving copies of
> different stages of my editing in their own folders named after the stage
> their in.  So, I first start by making a new folder (if none exists
> already,
> of course) called "Editing Room".  Since I'm about to begin a new project,
> I'll create a new folder using whatever info I have for the contents for
> the
> file.  Going back to my example above, I would also name this one
> "MyBandName", but this time, I'll make another folder inside it and call
> that one "Shooters B&G St.Pat's day - 1989".  I'd then create a Copy of
> the
> original ripped file and Paste it in there.  Now, as I complete each step
> of
> my normal editing routine (and you'll develop one of your own after a
> while), I can create additional folders to store my results without
> overwriting anything I had in there.  For example, a folder called
> "2008-06-23 NR" would tell me that I have already applied noise reduction
> on
> the file(s) inside.  the date not only tells me when I applied that
> specific
> editing chore, but it also keeps all of the folders in chronological
> order,
> so I'll always be working on the file inside the very last subfolder I
> find
> in there.  So, all of these edited folders must be together inside the
> master folder with the descriptive name of the performance or group of
> songs
> for that project to keep them together and to remind me of where I left
> off
> the next time I have some time to play.  When I'm completely finished with
> any given project (meaning just one ripped file), many of the copies I
> made
> can be deleted, but I'll always save a few sub-masters for a while just in
> case I decide to go back and make a change here or there.  It saves me
> from
> having to start over from scratch and you might be surprised at how
> something can sound really good on your computer, but lousy when played
> through the car stereo.  If I'm editing for someone else, I will burn the
> entire Master group of folder & subfolders to a CD or DVD twice, giving
> one
> to the person who hired me and keeping one for myself in case they come
> back
> in a year and want something else done with it.
>
>    I'm sure this is a lot more than you asked for, but I think you will
> gain a lot from the extra depth.            :O)

Hey Gman,  this was very  helpful with how you organize your in process
editing files and all, using the dates is very helpful indeed, I finally to
wise to doing that with my .ftw, family treemaker files so I knew which was
the last one I updated.

thanks for all of your help.