-=PCTechTalk=- Re: audacity program question, recording from tape to computer

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:35:13 -0400

Hi Gman,

Had to break for awhile.  First, it seems strange now that the "only color"
I see is red for the right and left bars that show when I am recording.  I
guess that is called the "meter" right?  But if I set it back to "mono" then
only one side lights up when recording.  The tapes I am currently trying to
record onto the hard drive were recorded in an old boombox that I was
assuming "stereo" not mono?  Since it had a balance knob for left and right?
I can  only speculate if I had it right in the middle of the balance mark
when recording but I probably had it close.

What confuses me is why I see no change if I mess with the "gain" for the
left or right after I set the split stereo.  I thought I could adjust one or
the other but now my thinking is go "post edit", easier ;0.  I think I
should just not mess with the gain and all that on one channel or the other.
But is it correct that I am seeing totally red in both bars when recording?

Also I did try using that tapehead cleaner and demagntizer thing.  It said
to put two drops on the tape and put it in the tapeplayer pushing "play"
till it stops,  It also said do not rewind it.  Well I did that and it
sounded like the tape was rewinding on its own ..., I only pushed play.
This tapeplayer is not a boombox, but a home component.

Your thoughts?

thanks,

Christine