-=PCTechTalk=- Re: audacity program question, recording from tape to computer

  • From: "cristy" <poppy0206@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 22:51:26 -0400

Assuming your source tape recorded the performances across both
channels of the cassettes, I've found it best to record it 'as is' and see
whatever I have to work with 'in post'.  If one side is much worse than the
other, I will usually delete the bad side and then simply work on cleaning
up the good side all by itself.  When I'm finished and happy with my result,
I'll mirror that over to the other side to create a two channel monophonic
file.

Gman, when you say "if one side is much worse than the other", do you mean
the left or right channel like where I adjust it using the balance knob on
the tapeplayer? Side = channel?  (left channel and right channel?).  And you
are saying you could basically delete the left or right channel if one
sounds better?  If so, I am confused how to use the solo or whatever you use
to just play back one channel at a time.  Then by mirroring, I guess you
mean duplicate it (create a new soundtrack basically and mix the two
together?) to create one soundtrack?  By two channel monophonic file then no
left and right?

If you've ever worked in a recording studio and spent any significant
time in "The Booth", you should have witnessed the engineer pressing a
button or two to change what comes through their playback monitors.  One
button might route the live performance directly to their speakers, another
let's them hear parts of or all of what's already been recorded and yet
another lets them mix the two (plus there are plenty that let them make all
sorts of mixes excluding certain tracks, etc.).

I worked three times in a recording studio many years ago singing backup for
a musician and I sang about four or five harmony tracks that they mixed all
together for the background.  It was cool, the whole process of it but work
for me to learn the parts ;).

    The program you're using
most likely has similar functions and it's up to you to 'track' down what
those signal bars are actually showing you.  It is very much in your best
interest to seek out all of the buttons and switches that control what comes
through your speakers and those signal bars so that you know, without any
doubts, what you're viewing at all times.

This is what I have been trying to do find out how to control the signals
that I see in the bars, but nothing seems to change them much yet.  I am
thinking I should have left it at "mono" the default and maybe it records as
stereo like you said?

    From your description, it sounds like you have a single track monophonic
recording (only one side of the tape recorded the original material), but
the program you're using is set to spread that cross two sides of a stereo
file.  If all of the above is true (and it's very possible that I'm not
guessing properly), I wouldn't do that.  I would have it record only the one
valuable channel to a single channel, true monophonic file that can be
widened to a dual channel file when all editing has been done (just before
burning).

Hopefully, something here will guide you towards making better rips and
working with the results.  If I'm not addressing what you're trying to ask,
let me know.           :O)