-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Flash drives Part 1 of 3

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2008 23:03:54 -0400

See below for replies to actual post.

From: Don101
To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, June 22, 2008 7:15 AM
Subject: Autorun.inf

Gman and everybody else that may be interested....

1. This is the autorun.inf for the portable version of AIRoboform.  Can you
help me figure out what purpose the various lines are for?  Below is my
guess as to what it all means and how to use it.  I got a lot of help from
the MSDN website here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb776823.aspx
(http://tinyurl.com/69mu8y).  That link came from WikiPedia at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorun  (http://tinyurl.com/sdkfs)
- - - - - - - - - - - -
[AutoRun]
open=PortableRoboForm.exe
action=Launch RoboForm2Go
shell\RoboForm2Go=Launch RoboForm2Go
shell\RoboForm2Go\command=PortableRoboForm.exe
icon=PortableRoboForm.exe
label=RoboForm2Go
- - - - - - - - - - - -
2.
a. [AutoRun] is maybe just a label?

    It's a section label that tells the OS to execute everything under it
including any switches required and, if they are not in the same folder,
where to find them.  It is conceivable that other sections could exist
within an Autorun.ini file using section labels other than [AutoRun], but I
don't recall ever seeing any.

b. open= identifies what will run/launch when the action displayed in the
autorun dialog box is selected

    Correct.  Anything that starts with 'open' will be executed as long as
the OS doesn't have instructions in place to prevent Autorun commands.
These lines can include any type of executable such as .exe, .com, .bat,
etc. type files as well as relative path statements such as
"open=bootcd\wintools\autorun.exe -s -f".

c. action= specifies the text that will appear as an option in the autorun
dialog box.
d. shell\RoboForm2Go= specifies the text in the context menu when the drive
bearing the label RoboForm2Go is right clicked
e. shell\RoboForm2Go\command= specifies the command to execute when that
option on the context menu is selected.
f. icon= tells the system where to find the icon to display for the drive.
label=  specifies the label or name of the drive.

    The rest of your descriptions are spot on as well.  You have left me
nothing to add to these, so I added nothing.         :O)