[pchelpers] Re: Blank Preview pane

  • From: Scott McNay <Wizard@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: George <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 22:00:38 -0500

Hi George,

G> There are some viruses that can infect your computer just by viewing the
G> infected email in the preview pane. For that reason I don't use the preview
G> pane at all. Some on this list have said this is not true. View the
G> information at these sites and decide for yourself:
G> http://www.scsb.org/klezinfo.htm

G> http://www.pchell.com/support/oesecurity.shtml (fifth paragraph)

G> http://www.apcsnh.com/vacm/previewpaneoff.html

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that if you have all of the
security updates, you won't have that problem.

If you don't have all of the security updates, chances are you're not
concerned about the preview pane anyway.

Considering that there's more junk that can infect via fully-opened
messages than via preview pane, I think the preview pane is the lesser
of two evils -- if you're required to use Outlook or Outlook Express.

For Pen: I have a 19" monitor at work, and when I had the preview
pane, I had it set to fill most of the screen. The size of it IS
adjustable; most people seem to not be interested in adjusting it, or
don't know that it can be adjusted. I was able to read most emails in
it easily, usually without scrolling.

--Scott.