[pchelpers] Re: Blank Preview pane

  • From: "George" <georgetcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pchelpers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:03:13 -0400

I keep my windows and anti-virus and spyware removers and firewall up to
date. But as someone said a while back, there are no absolutes in computing.
Anti-virus programs have to be kept up to date with the latest virus
definitions because new virii are being written all the time. There is a
window of opportunity for one to get infected between the time a new virus
is released,identified and an updated definition file is produced. It has
also happened that e-mail that I didn't want was inadvertently allowed to
slip by and be downloaded onto my PC. These two factors combined make for
the possibility (not likelihood) that a virus infected e-mail could make it
into my preview pane if I used it. So I choose not to use it. What others do
is their business. But misinformation masquerading as authoritative comment
is the business of everyone here, and so my comment on the fact that some
have said it to be impossible to get infected by simply opening or
previewing an e-mail. IT ISN'T TRUE. It IS possible and it DOES happen. I
for one would rather be safe than sorry. Though I may one day get infected
it won't be through using the preview pane. If you want to call that being
paranoid, Bob, so be it. But remember one thing: Just because I'm paranoid
doesn't mean there's nobody out to get me. :)
BTW
HijackThis! gives me the ability to identify and stop processes run by
viruses that haven't been identified yet, and to delete the programs running
those processes. I can also use it to delete any BHO's I don't like or
recognize as something installed by me. It is an invaluable free tool.

George
+++
My darkness inside is full of stars - and each one has a name.

From: "George" <georgetcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> There are some viruses that can infect your computer just by viewing the
> infected email in the preview pane. For that reason I don't use the
preview
> pane at all. Some on this list have said this is not true.

Bob says:
While this is true....I have always used the preview pane and have never
gotten a virus.  Because I keep my AV and Windows up to date.  They print
things like "Don't put this plastic bag over your head" on plastic bags.  Or
on hairdryers, "Don't dry hair while standing in the bathtub full of water".
We usually laugh at these notices BUT they are true.  We know that anything
has to be used in the right manner.  The preview pane is the only way to
view mail -IN MY OPINION.  But you have to have the proper protection in
place.  As an example, you may be so paranoid about getting virus that you
don't even use email, but you don't do your Windows update and guess what
...you have the latest worm infecting your computer, as it doesn't use email
to spread.

Bob McLellan

Regards, John Durham (list moderator)
<http://modecideas.com/contact.html?sig>