RE: 10g upgrade survey

  • From: "Allen, Brandon" <Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:39:13 -0700

I'm reviving this topic because I happen to have a real-life need to do
another 10g upgrade and in planning I came up with a couple more
benefits of using exp/imp:

1) You can retain your old version of the database, completely
unchanged, as a fallback in case of problems during/after the upgrade.
2) You can go directly from any version to 10g, rather than having to be
on 8.1.7.4, 9.0.1.4+, 9.2.0.4+ or 10.2.0.2+, which are the prerequisites
for a direct upgrade to 10.2.  In my case, I've currently got about 50
databases all running on 8.1.7.3 - do I want to go through the trouble
of patching them all to 8.1.7.4 just as a stepping stone to 10g, or just
go straight to 10g via exp/imp?  I think I'll go for the shorter path.

Also, I found these comments from the 10.2 upgrade guide
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/preu
p.htm#BABFHFIJ:

Export/Import Benefits

Upgrading using Export/Import offers the following benefits:

*       Defragments the data - you can compress the imported data to
improve performance.

*       Restructures the database - you can create new tablespaces or
modify existing tables, tablespaces, or partitions to be populated by
imported data.

*       Enables the copying of specified database objects or users - you
can import only the objects, users, and other items that you wish.

*       Serves as a backup archive - you can use a full database export
as an archive of the current database.

Regards,
Brandon