Re: 10g upgrade survey

  • From: "GovindanK" <gkatteri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:04:44 -0800

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 14:23:33 -0800, "Jeremiah Wilton"
<jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

Good response from Jeremial Wilton. That reminds me of another aspect ;
The Export/Import method "RESET"s the reation date/time of the objects ;
This is surely not acceptable to me; On many instances during the
lifecycle of the database / implementation(s) the Creation date + Last
DDL Time + Timestamp have come in handy.

> - Moving to LMT: What is wrong with migrating to LMTs? It can be done
> bit by bit in shorter outage windows an with much lower stakes.

Well said. No need to club with migration/upgrade. If any problem arises
you would know where to look at.

> - The data dictionary could not be upgraded due to corruption:  This is
> the only good reason I could find in all the responses. Still, support
> should have been able to help you make your DD upgradeable.  What if the
> DB had been 10T?

Again another correct statement. We did upload the system tablespace
datafiles to Oracle but the response was use the exp/imp since we told
them that the db size (in this case) is just 70GB!!!!!.

HTH
GovindanK