Re: 10g upgrade survey

  • From: JApplewhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 12:32:30 -0600

Dennis,

We almost always use option 3, for a variety of reasons, depending on the
database in question:
- Have to pre-create the database in advance of a cut-over of a Production
DB to the new version.
- Want to take advantage of a new feature that would be difficult or
impossible to retrofit to an upgraded database.
- Moving a database from, say, 32bit Linux to 64bit Linux, and upgrading
at the same time.

We also had a problem after an upgrade of an HPUX database from 8.1.7.4 to
9.2.0.4.  Right after the upgrade, our 3rd Party Financials app,
accumulated about 60,000 views.  After we dropped those nasty things, that
DB's Data Dictionary was somehow damaged - did not shrink.  Queries
against DBA_Tables, DBA_Indexes, etc. took over a minute.  Other 9.2.0.4
DBs, even one where we drop and re-create 125,000 table and 180,000
indexes every week gave sub-second responses to the same queries.  After
pre-creating a from-scratch 9.2.0.4 DB and importing the contents of the
slow one, we got the same sub-second response.

Anyway, we prefer to pre-create and transfer data.  Caveat - our largest
databases are only around 100GB.  With huge databases, moving data around
isn't nearly so easy.

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator
Austin (Texas) Independent School District
512.414.9715 (wk)  /  512.935.5929 (pager)

 Same-Day Stump Grinding!  Senior Discounts!
         -- Mike's Tree Service

"Dennis Williams" <oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: oracle-l-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
03/05/2007 12:09 PM
Please respond to
oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx

"Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
10g upgrade survey

List,

If you've upgraded more than one database to 10g, please let me know what
method you chose:

1. dbua
2. Manual upgrade
3. Created a 10g database and migrated the data.

Either reply to the list or to me directly. Also please let me know why
you chose the path you selected and if you had to do it again if you'd
done it differently.

Thanks,
Dennis Williams