RE: 10g upgrade survey

  • From: "GovindanK" <gkatteri@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx, oracledba.williams@xxxxxxxxx, "Oracle Discussion List" <oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:51:32 -0700

I see three reasons against going for exp/imp:

1. Minimal downtime
2. System Tablespace / Data Dictionary corrupted but i am able to export all
user/data schema
3. I would need to retain the timestamp,create date as per dba_objects

HTH

GovindanK
On Mon, 19 Mar 2007 16:39:13 -0700, "Allen, Brandon"
<Brandon.Allen@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:

I'm reviving this topic because I happen to have a real-life need to do another
10g upgrade and in planning I came up with a couple more benefits of using
exp/imp:

1) You can retain your old version of the database, completely unchanged, as a
fallback in case of problems during/after the upgrade.

2) You can go directly from any version to 10g, rather than having to be on
8.1.7.4, 9.0.1.4+, 9.2.0.4+ or 10.2.0.2+, which are the prerequisites for a
direct upgrade to 10.2.  In my case, I've currently got about 50 databases all
running on 8.1.7.3 - do I want to go through the trouble of patching them all
to 8.1.7.4 just as a stepping stone to 10g, or just go straight to 10g via
exp/imp?  I think I'll go for the shorter path.

Also, I found these comments from the 10.2 upgrade guide
[1]http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14238/preup.htm#BABFHFIJ:

Export/Import Benefits

Upgrading using Export/Import offers the following benefits:
  * Defragments the data - you can compress the imported data to improve
performance.
  * Restructures the database - you can create new tablespaces or modify
existing tables, tablespaces, or partitions to be populated by imported data.
  * Enables the copying of specified database objects or users - you can import
only the objects, users, and other items that you wish.
  * Serves as a backup archive - you can use a full database export as an
archive of the current database.

Regards,

Brandon