Re: 10g upgrade survey

  • From: "Sandra Becker" <sbecker6925@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: oracle-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 08:12:33 -0700

On 3/5/07, Jeremiah Wilton <jeremiah@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't agree with the majority of respondents to the list who like to
> use the exp/imp method to upgrade their databases.  Why, in the absence
> of real necessity, would one completely unload and reload their data,
> rather than just running the upgrade script?

I also agree with Mr. Wilton.  Having said that, I did run into a situation
where I needed upgrade my database to 9.2.0.8 and also migrate
from a 32-bit to 64-bit Linux server.  Unfortunately, there was no 32-bit
version of 9.2.0.8 for Linux and no 9.2.0.5 for 64-bit.
Oracle support recommended exp/imp saying that was the only method they
supported for what I needed to do, but I did
not have a migration window large enough for that task given the size of our
database and the speed of our old server.

What it came down to was developing procedures and testing them until I was
confident they would produce the desired results.
I would imagine that would apply to any kind of migration.  Test, test,
test, and then test again.  I insisted that I be allowed the time
to adequately test the procedures.  I didn't call it success until I had
completed the task 3 times consecutively without errors AND
had QA test all pieces of the application against the new database.  QA did
find some minor problems with the code that had
apparently been afflicting our customers for some time, but no one thought
to tell the developers.  The result was a migration/upgrade
that completed two hours ahead of schedule with no database issues once we
opened it up for our customers.  I intend to follow a
similar process when I upgrade to 10g, except I will test against a small
database that only I use first.

Sandy