[opendtv] Re: U.S. NEEDS A CLEAR PICTURE OF WIRELESS

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:49:37 -0600

Cliff Benham wrote:

> Ummm. Why is the station group going to pay ABC to carry
> ABC Family?
>
> Why isn't ABC paying the station group to carry it's
> programming and it's built in commercials?

Either way.

I used the MVPD model as explained by Craig, and just applied it to OTA station
groups. The other option is to give all the ad revenues directly to the content
owner, and then have that content owner pay the distribution pipe.

Tom,

I don't get why something like HGTV programs or Food Channel programs should be
guarded more jealously than, say, prime time NCIS or CSI episodes, not to
mention NCIS or CSI when rebroadcast in syndication by the OTA stations.
Obviously, MVPD content that is considered premium, i.e. without ads, would not
be transmitted without some form of encryption.

I can understand why cable systems want to encrypt all their stuff. E.g., to
prevent people in apartment complexes from tapping in for free. But I really
think that the copy-protection excuse for non-premium tier stuff is just an
excuse to impede fair competition.