[opendtv] Re: U.S. NEEDS A CLEAR PICTURE OF WIRELESS

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 08:32:36 -0500

At 5:35 PM -0500 1/7/10, John Shutt wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "Craig Birkmaier" <craig@xxxxxxxxx>

The average U.S. household now pays around $300 per year in content subscriber fees and these fees are increasing significantly as we have seen recently. The current retrans deals are going to add at least a buck a month to every extend basic cable and DBS subscriber.

Not relevant to the FOTA situation.

Sure it is. Subscriber fees will help keep the FOTA model alive a bit longer. There is no viable business model delivering FOTA to less than 10% of U.S. homes.

Without the BBC "seed," there would be no Freeview. Wikipedia says this about the origins of Freeview:

"Freeview officially launched on 30 October 2002 at 5 am when the BBC and Crown Castle (now Arqiva) officially took over the digital terrestrial television (DTT) licences to broadcast on the three multiplexes from the defunct ITV Digital (originally called ONdigital)."

There is also a "free" version of BskyB available in GB called Freesat. Again, without the BBC's seed money, it wouldn't exist either.

I'm not certain that your claim can be substantiated. Yes the BBC was part of the group that took over. One could properly claim that this was one of the best investment the BBC ever made. Now that the platform is completely viable, the BBC is doing nothing more than the rest of the partners, paying their share of the cost to operate Freeview. Remember, that thanks to the license fee, the BBC became the 800 pound gorilla in U.K. TV Land. Thanks to Freeview there is now plenty of competition.

The very fact that U.S. broadcasters are now collecting subscriber fees, when the OTA service is free, says a great deal about their clout with the U.S. politicians. This was only possible because of the 1992 cable re-regulation act and similar provisions for the DBS companies.

No, it says more about the convenience of having a single method of tuning all your entertainment content that minimizes the "granny confusion" factor. As we have all agreed, broadcast still has among the highest desired content. (For now.)

Sorry John, but broadcasters have fully embraced cable carriage for decades - it helped them reach more homes, especially in fringe coverage areas.

There is a widespread belief in the broadcast industry that cable could not exist without the content from the major networks. This may have been true in the '80s, but has not been true for the past two decades. There is a reason that >60% of the total audience IS NOT watching the content offered by broadcasters during prime time.

The only time people get upset about losing a broadcast network is when a MAJOR event is about to take place, which is the main reason the broadcasters schedule contract negotiations when major events aree on the horizon. It is MUCH tougher for a local station to negotiate because they do not have much content that viewers would get upset about if it went away.

In our household we watch almost no broadcast TV other than sports, and most of the sports we watch has now moved to ESPN and regional sports networks.

Remember, each station has a choice of declaring either Must Carry or Retrans Consent. If the Cable Ops don't think it is worth it to pay the fees to a specific broadcaster, they won't. At that point, the broadcaster either withholds it's signal, or it declares Must Carry and gets back on the lineup.

Broadcasters with affiliations to a major network generally can greenmail their way to subscriber fees. Independents typically must elect must carry.