[opendtv] Re: U.S. NEEDS A CLEAR PICTURE OF WIRELESS

  • From: Bob Miller <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 00:15:30 -0500

On Roosevelt Island I get 35 to 50 Mbps, no problem.

I think that they are thinking of using this very robust TV spectrum
for more than mobile broadband. If you only use it for mobile there
should be enough. From what I read they are talking about making this
wireless spectrum a competitor to fixed fiber. That is ridiculous.
There is an almost infinite amount of spectrum that can be used to
deliver fixed wireless to compete with fixed fiber.

And the technology is available for some of it. Enough IMO to out
compete fiber in the last mile.

BTW
http://dvb.org/about_dvb/dvb_worldwide/united_kingdom/

"In total over 18 million UK homes use Freeview on at least one TV set
in the home."

That is 70% of households and about the same percentage have Internet access.

"In the West Country, which completed its switch to DTT in September
this year, 80% of analogue homes chose Freeview for their main set
provider compared to 12% for BSkyB and 8% for Virgin Media."

I wonder if the FCC would be even thinking of taking spectrum from
broadcasters if the US had numbers like the UK does.

Bob Miller