[opendtv] Re: U.S. NEEDS A CLEAR PICTURE OF WIRELESS

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 10:43:58 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I have no doubts that broadcasters would love to get their
> hands on this content, especially if they could cut the deal
> you would like to offer them. And the MVPDs have not the
> slightest inclination to make this content available to
> broadcasters, as it can only undermine their business model.

But the MVPDs are not usually the content owners. I'm not sure how this stuff
works legally, but there is something called "restraint of trade," isn't there?

Let's say that an ABC affiliated OTA station group wants to carry, for
instance, ABC Family (or other ABC-owned content only now seen over MVPDs, and
pay ABC a similar per-household fee as the MVPDs pay. I picked this example
only because I don't think that ABC runs any MVPDs. I don't see how ABC can
deny the request. I don't see how MVPDs are allowed to collude with ABC, to
prevent that content from being bought at fair market value.