[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 10:25:50 -0700

Could you provide me with a reference to the language in ISO/IEC 13818:2000
where this conformance matter is stated with "shall" language?  My reading
is that this type of stuff is in informative, not normative, annexes, if
it's in there at all.

My reading is somewhat different -- that an MPEG-2 'user' (ATSC, ARIB, SCTE,
DVB), while relying on the mandatory transport stream elements -- PAT, PMT,
elementary streams, etc. -- can define what is mandatory in their world.
MPEG-2 is a toolkit, and ATSC and the rest use it.

As mentioned in this thread, DVB has made AFD mandatory in some contexts.

ATSC has limited, for example, what you can do with a pid carrying a program
map table section.  MPEG-2 permits more than one PMT section (one PMT
section per MPEG-2 program) to share a single pid, and even permits other
MPEG-2 private table sections on that pid.

ATSC takes away that flexibility.  You cannot have more than one PMT section
on the same pid, and the pid cannot carry privately defined table sections.
(Thank the Almighty for that!)

Nothing in MPEG-2 forbids you from having two different elementary streams
on the same pid.  ATSC takes that 'flexibility' away; except for PSIP (and
perhaps data broadcasting), you can only have one elementary stream, or
table section type on a single pid.

The MPEG-2 user can define any raster size, sure.  But YOU are not an MPEG-2
user; ATSC is.  And, they have defined it differently than you desire.
Methinks the case is long closed on that: at least one due-process standards
development organization didn't agree with you.

John Willkie