[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 23:31:55 -0500

John,

All the references on the EBU site are narrative, not definitive. I count 12 EBU documents in the tiny.url Google search I included in my post.

http://tinyurl.com/yvplpg

Among those pitifully small number of documents are things like:

"A clear distinction should be made between anamorphic 16:9 aspect ratio recordings and letterbox recordings." (EBU Technical Recommendation R71-2001: Labeling and identification of 16:9 aspect ratio television tape-recordings)

And:

"The test signal sequence is originated as an SDTV signal with an aspect ratio of 4:3 and supports a picture aspect ratio of 16:9 as an anamorphic image in 270 Mbit/s 4:3 signals, where the distinction between 4:3 and 16:9 test patterns is supported by a corresponding geometric square element." (EBU Technical Document 3305: Digital Television Test Pattern Sequence for Operational Use)

In addition to the one you pointed out.

I know how much you hate references that are only in the narrative. However, the point remains that the term "anamorphic" is used commonly, if not precisely, by the industry and it is used exactly as I described: To distinguish full screen16:9 from full screen 4:3 with a letterboxed 16:9 active area, in those screen resolutions where both aspect ratios commonly co-exist.

I never claimed that the term was an officially recognized and defined term for the designation of a class of video images. I have, however, submitted enough examples from standards bodies, leading equipment manufacturers, and major motion picture studios to prove my point that the term is in popular use.

And finally, not to put too fine a point on it, if a term is used in "DVB Land", then the term is in use. There is even an ATSC document from the Implementation Subcommittee that refers to anamorphic in relation to 16:9, but I leave it to the reader to locate. Aw heck, it's IS-312, and says:

"It is possible for broadcasters to encode and transmit SD 480I images with a 16:9 aspect ratio, just as is done for DVDs in the "widescreen anamorphic" format."

Even they use quotation marks to denote a popular term, not an officially sanctioned one.
John

P.S.,

Daylight Savings Time begins this Sunday at 2 am. Have I missed your announcement on your PSIP listserv? Our DTV Innovations PSIP generator was silly enough to think that DST began on Day 6 at Hour 2. We had to get an emergency software update from them to fix it.

J.

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Remember, I did say I thought that the term was used in DVB-land.  I could
have also said that I didn't think it was used the way it has been used in
this thread.