[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 18:46:48 -0500

John,

Don't blame Bert. I am the one "abusing" the term anamorphic. However, I'm not alone.

Apple abuses the term.

Evertz abuses the term.
<http://www.evertz.com/products/500DCDA-HD>

Miranda abuses the term.
<http://www.miranda.com/product.php?i=93&l=1>

And the DVD Industry regularly abuses the term.
<https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_/104-0670498-9607143?url=search-alias%3Ddvd&field-keywords=anamorphic>

As I said several times, it is a common industry practice to refer to 16:9 widescreen material, when the same frame horizontal and vertical size is also commonly used in a 4:3 format, as "anamorphic."

If you have a problem with the term, I suggest you take it up with the industry at large, beginning with Apple, Evertz, Miranda, and the movie studios that release widescreen 16:9 movies and crassly label them "Anamorphic Widescreen."

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

You have not provided a published (as in a standard) reference to
"anamorphic." Did you catch Ron also putting the term in quotes? I want to know where the display and pickup lens (anamorphic) fit into this. Lacking
them, you are abusing the term anamorphic.