[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:04:29 -0800

What I've noticed hereabouts recently is that when KFMB-TV airs CBS 4:3 cbs
programs, they place a somewhat subtle "HDTV" in grey on pastel on the left
otherwise black area, and their channel number and the CBS logo on the right
side of the screen.

I've also seen - at least once - a subtle gradation from black to grey.  I
can't remember where I saw it.

I won't watch - for more than a second - a channel with stretched video.
KUSI-DT does it hereabouts; the Chief Engineer told me that was 1) because
there isn't much syndicated HDTV content (pathfire doesn't transmit it yet)
and 2) because he's airing 720 60p, and wants people to think it's all HDTV.
For many of us, the stretched video says something is a bit off-tune.

John Willkie

  _____