[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 09:45:17 -0800

Adam Goldberg said (in part)
" Ha! Someone figured out that I got elected to the ATSC board.  Sorry 'bout
that."

I believe I saw the news the day it was announced.  I held back alluding to
it due to the NDA that applies to the ATSC-Admin email list, but I just saw
that it is mentioned on the ATSC web site.

I was also hoping someone else would make the connection; it can be fun
seeing the 'discoveries' of others.

I'm all for AFD or pan/scan - bar data.  If I had real-time access to
picture headers, I would include the former in my PSIP generator and make it
mandatory to use.  Alas, I don't have such access.  Since AFD and pan/scan -
bar data are mutually exclusive, sadly, I can't make the latter mandatory,
since the PSIP generator can't, without access to the whole transport stream
output, determine which video elements contain AFD.

Whenever possible, I try to make 'useful' optional elements in ATSC
standards mandatory in my PSIP generator.  Others might permit a user to
define an audio element without providing for an ISO-639 language label.
Not me.  If you have an audio element, it is labeled with the language,
defaulting to "eng."

Right before the FCC's new PSIP rules take effect, I will make one change in
my database to indicate the new version of the AC-3 descriptor is to be
used.  (Per ATSC, it went into effect on March 1, but I listen to a higher
authority on what is permitted in transport streams.)  The next time
generators create Virtual Channel Tables (within 3 hours), or if selected,
Program Map Tables (change could happen at any time), the new version of the
AC-3 descriptor will be in service.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've tested the new version for
compliance and checked that the switchover works flawlessly.  Something to
add to the punch list.

John Willkie