[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:05:54 -0800

Remember, I did say I thought that the term was used in DVB-land.  I could
have also said that I didn't think it was used the way it has been used in
this thread.

The EBU web site is an interesting place to review technological solutions.

At this url,
http://www.ebu.ch/en/technical/trev/trev_272-lartigues.pdf?display=EN ,I
found an interesting use of the term anamorphic.

"These two solutions have not been systematically
introduced into the digital services currently available.
In some cases, this is because the digital 4:3
decoder does not have the necessary parameters to
convert the transmitted 16:9 picture (either because
the parameters of the broadcast service are
unsatisfactory or because the decoder itself is
badly configured). The result is that the 4:3 viewer
sees an anamorphic picture (with elongated
people), unless he/she has a recent 4:3 television
set. This effect could be eliminated if the broadcasting
centre was able to update remotely the
software architecture in the consumer IRD."

Note: that isn't using a different sar and dar, but appears to be a good
usage of the term; distorted aspect ratio.  "Sees an anamorphic picture."

There are only 7 documents on the EBU web site that appear to reference the
term anamorphic.  I'd provide a link, but it won't survive.  The search page
is here: http://www.ebu.ch/NWsearch/search.php

Also, note the "has a recent 4:3 television set.  IIRC, WSS is mandatory in
DVB-land.

When the ATSC gets around to making AFD mandatory -- if they ever do -- the
FCC has hinted that they will follow suit, at least in respect to
terrestrial broadcasting.

They've also hinted that if AFD is solved by broadcast, the FCC won't let
cable fudge with it.

John Willkie