[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 16:57:49 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Given the reality that a TV can be in any of these modes, it
> seems that broadcasters are settling on what they believe to
> be the best fix for the moment. I am told at the HPA Tech
> retreat that during the broadcast panel all of the network
> representatives told the audience that they are specifying
> that original 4:3 source have black pillarbox added to create
> a full 16:9 frame, with the content - and their precious logo
> bugs - in the 4:3 safe area. This is then transmitted as a
> 16:9 native source.

Hooray!

> This seems to work get the 4:3 content displayed properly in
> all of the modes listed above, however, the log bug may get
> cropped in the zoom modes, depending on the vertical centering
> adjustment.
>
> What would make more sense to me is to add one more spatial
> resolution format, which would use the MPEG-2 MP@HL
> profile/level, which must be supported for the HD formats.
> That format would be 854 x 480 @ 24/30/60P, square pixel 16:9.

I don't see why this would make any difference, Craig.

Take the obvious example: DVDs. Whether transmitting "non-anamorphic"
4:3 or anamorphic 16:9, there is never a case of square pixels at the
source side, and there may also never be a case of square pixels at the
display side. This makes no difference to anything, as far as I can
tell.

(Well, it does show that the only thing "non-anamorphic" can possibly
mean is 4:3 native.)

As to your insistence that all of this doesn't matter in PCs, it does
matter. The crucial point in PCs is to set up the video card properly
for your display. All you have to do is look at how many of the newer
wide-screen PCs are set up wrong, merely stretching out the video just
as a badly set up TV does.

I haven't checked whether 16:10 PC displays distort 16:9 images the way
most 16:10 TVs seem to, but it would not surprise me at all if they did.
You need to choose the correct setup option in the PC's display options
to avoid distortion. There is no question at all that many of the
options available in any given PC *do* distort. I've seen this many
times. I can cause the very PC I'm on now to distort, at all but *ONE*
of the available setup options. That's hardly exemplary performance in
this regard.