[opendtv] Re: Redefining anamorphic

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:47:28 -0500

Well, you can add Ensemble Designs to the list as well.
<http://www.ensembledesigns.com/products/avenue/7900>

(Note that they only use the term "anamorphic" in the context of describing the various HD to SD downconversion modes. They do not use the term "anamorphic" with any of the HD formats, because for their purposes all HD is 16:9, therefore no need to discern 16:9 from letterboxed 16:9. Nasty industry practice that isn't supported by an alphabet Ivory tower again, I know, but it makes sense to people like me who deal with it daily.)

The AES was nice, but good thing you didn't say the CEA.
http://www.ce.org/Press/CEA_Pubs/2010.asp

But then they aren't a standards sanctioning body, they are just more marketers spewing lies. No argument from me on that score.

Yes, I also knew about the SMPTE use of the term, and it is the MP part of SMPTE that uses it. Video people like those I cited hijacked the term and bastardized it.

The term is out there, it's being used. Even if it isn't a Standards Defining Body approved use, it is still a good idea to be familiar with the term and it's common usage. I also said the word "ain't" before it was in the dictionary.

All I ask is that the US adopt some sort of signaling, be it WSS, VLI, or whatever, that survives conversion from MPEG to SD-SDI, NTSC, up-down-and cross conversion, recording to videotape and video server, and playback again. Then I have no problem with providing Bert his SD 16:9 programming because I can deploy something like the Ensemble Designs Avenue 7900 (of which we already own two) to automatically treat incoming video.

In fact, I've pitched our station downconverting HD programming to widescreen SD for ATSC emission. Widescreen programming in fewer bits than HD, allowing more multiplex video streams.

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I'm still waiting for the term to be described in an engineering document
propounded by a standards development organization.  That gamut is wide:
SMPTE, ISO, IEC, ATSC, SCTE, DVB (which I believe does use the term, at
least to an extent), AES :-).