[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 15:30:34 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Would you build a new antenna factory, knowing that the current
> standard is going to be replaced with a technology that will not
> need outdoor antennas?

Only because the standard exists today, and the future isn't here yet.

I'm absolutely NOT saying here that ATSC, or any one-way broadcast TV, is here
to stay. I fully concur with Mark Aitken's thinking, from his broadcaster's
perspective. As a user, though, as of now, OTA TV is still providing a valuable
piece of the puzzle.

> Clearly the standard can work quite well for those who choose not
> to subscribe to a multi-channel service.

*Or* those who do subscribe to a traditional cable company, but choose to use
it as a broadband link, and maybe telephone service, only. Verizon FiOS offers
such double-play packages.

I know that some MVPDs offer these great deals, where they include the basic TV
tier for next to nothing, for the first year. So for those customers who can
resist getting lured, OTA TV is available to them too. Let the MVPDs worry
about competing with that, as I'm sure they will, which can only benefit all
consumers.

> A wonderful case of rationalization by someone who has long
> questioned why anyone would look at "all that stuff" on cable...

No, Craig, you're sorely mistaken. I've long questioned why anyone would want
to get *roped in* to the monopolistic, walled in service. It's no mystery to me
that they like having a zillion channels to watch.

Remember, I'm the one who keeps saying that OTA broadcasters should make better
use of the spectrum they have, offering more interesting subchannels. I'm the
one who constantly questions this notion that broadcasters should limit what's
on OTA TV. In the current economic climate, if broadcasters/congloms want their
stuff to be seen at all, they ought to consider putting more of it on the more
affordable distribution pipe, IMO. And they are slowly heading that way, or
seem to be.

Alternatively or simultaneously, the congloms can also put more of their full
episodes on their Internet sites. That works too. Ultimately, that online
service could replace a lot of what OTA TV is still useful for, I certainly
concur with that! Just that the congloms aren't comfortable doing this yet.