[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 20:48:38 -0500

You misunderstood my point.

We live in a valley that is quite distant from the transmitters. The DC market area can hardly be described as one giant valley. The towers are way out there, on higher ground but not within anything approaching LOS, and we live in a relatively narrow, small valley.

The LOS "requirement" is therefore, far as I can tell, not factual anymore. May have been for the 1st gen receivers, I wouldn't be surprised, but things change.

I think that Frank Eory wrote a very good ATSC document years and years ago, stating that the expectations for DTV reception had changed. All I'm saying is, receiver performance changed too, after that document was published.

All of this is interesting, but mostly irrelevant. Only a small percentage of people in the U.S. are still watching TV via antennas - and here I am speaking about ATSC receivers, not other mobile devices that ALSO have antennas.

If you think that broadcast TV is going to experience a renaissance with the existing ATSC standard, you are living in another world. But there is hope that they will get the next standard right.