[opendtv] Re: OTA

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 08:59:53 -0500

AND we live in a valley.

So there's no way that LOS is possible, unless I misunderstand what LOS means. I don't know why others have such a big problem, so I have to assume it is not due to the propagation path, but more to front end overload, IM3 distortion, or other such effects, that decent receiver design would solve.

Las Vegas is a valley too, with a whole bunch of multipath generators in the middle.

It is important to remember that reliable mobile DTV was demonstrated in Las Vegas in 2000, using a standard for which ease of reception was an important consideration. At the time, the receiver was a thick tablet that had very limited battery life.

Here we are today with a tablet that has a 3 mpixel progressive display and 9 hours of battery life, when using 3/4G radios that can receive and play HD video in real time.

The fact that this would become possible, little more than a decade after the ATSC standard was developed was well known in the early '90s.

But this has NEVER been about technology. It has been, and continues to be, about the ability to protect an oligopoly that controls the distribution of TV content.