[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: Barry Brown <barrysb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:31:11 -0500

Since I'm a sat sub and have a digital TV, I haven't been paying too much attention to the converter box program until this AM when I read a story in the local paper about the conversion to digital TV. In the Q&A section, this question was asked: "Will the digital switch affect anything other than my TV". Answer: If you have a portable batter- operated TV that receives free channels from an antenna, you'll need to purchase plugs to connect it to a digital-to-analog converter box. Since special boxes won't be made for this type of TV, you'll also need an external power source for the box."

Is this true - there are no battery operated converter boxes being made available to those of us who watch portable TVs during power failures? If so, it appears to be a major oversight!

Barry Brown