[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: Richard Hollandsworth <holl_ands@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:53:49 -0800 (PST)

Small, portable ATSC TVs are out there (I searched for "atsc lcd ac dc"
and "portable dvd player atsc":
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=12848906
http://www.bundlecity.com/Television%20and%20Plasma%20TVs/AC%20DC%20TVs/?sck=15993502
http://www.plasma.com/lcdtv5to14inch.htm
Use 30-80W of 12 VDC, intended for car with AC/DC Adapter for home.

Personally, I use a 400 watt Inverter plugged into my car with GPS plugged into
USB port
and could have plugged ATSC Stick into other USB so my passenger could "watch"
TV reports while creeping along in the evac stream (as we had to do a few
months ago
due to fires in San Diego).  But since my
wife isn't all that savvy to run a PC-based
ATSC Stick, marginal (whiny) reception via AM radio (with excruciatingly slow
updates)
was all we had (FM seemed to be on auto-pilot).

holl_ands
"Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote: Barry Brown wrote:

> Right, just not as convenient as flipping a switch on a
> battery operated TV set. I've done some searching and there
> doesn't seem to be a lot of portable ATSC receivers floating
> around either at this time. It would be nice if the $40
> vouchers could be used to offset the cost this type of product
> in addition to the converter.

Not a lot, perhaps, but there are small, portable, battery-powered ATSC
sets out there. As of now, they seem to require quite a few AA cells, or
you can plug them into a car's cigarette lighter socket.

Best Buy used to sell one model, but I don't find it there anymore.
Still too soon for people to get serious about battery-powered DTV, I
guess. It'll happen, though.

But here's a web site that sells several models, along with a 10-AA-cell
battery pack, and a bigger battery pack for more viewing time.

http://www.lcddigital.tv/battery.html

Oh, and take a look at this solar-powered battery charger.

http://www.lcddigital.tv/solar.html

The trend in ATSC demods has been one of falling power specs. This is
bound to continue for some time.