[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: "Hunold, Ken" <KRH@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 18:27:40 -0500

People in the path of a hurricane have access to all sorts of imagery as
the storm approaches.  I would say that if power goes out while you are
deciding what to do, it is already too late!  After the storm hits,
radio is an excellent source of information.  Transmission facilities
are often physically diverse, providing a certain amount of redundancy
and reliability of transmissions.  Portable radios are plentiful,
storing extra batteries is not difficult, and you can listen while you
are otherwise occupied recovering from the disaster.

On 9/11 I was 10 blocks away from WTC.  I let my family know I was safe
by e-mail, as cell phone service was swamped and even landline phones
were down that close to the disaster site.  As I walked north I saw
people gathered around cars (all with radios) for news.  Radio is THE
source for information in the affected area during an emergency.  Video
provides information for onlookers who are more curious than they are in
dire need of information.  Nice, but not essential, for the casual
viewer.  (That's not to say DTV shouldn't play a part in emergency
communication, it's just not the primary way most people get their
information in times of emergency.)

Ken Hunold