[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:27:40 -0500

At 9:39 AM -0800 1/25/08, Kon Wilms wrote:
On Jan 25, 2008 7:26 AM, Barry Brown <barrysb@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
 With all that has been written about my initial posting about not
 having any battery operated ATSC converter boxes, my principle
 concern has been missed - that is when local residents have to spend
 4-6 days (or more) without power after a storm has passed through an
 area. It is this period when OTA is certainly a good friend and
 source of contact with the outside world.

In Africa we get our own generators or daisy chain a few marine
batteries to an inverter circuit, because you can't rely on the
government for handouts. These converters have power plugs, right?
Where's the problem?

Yes, generators have become a must have in this area - it has helped that the government has paid for so many...

;-)

But we also have Tax Free days when stores can sell any kid of hurricane supplies without sales tax.

The generator was not much help after Florence, as we lost COx cable, as did more than 605 of the homes in this market. We could pull the ABC affiliate off air, but the information from local radio stations was FAR MORE comprehensive and accessible 24/7, while the TV station primarily tried to keep the remaining viewers entertained...

We had another storm after Florence that did less damage. Each time the power went out and I hooked up the generator, the power would come back on just after everything was hooked up...

But the generator is very useful out at our farm where we have no power...