[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 07:35:40 -0500

At 10:33 AM -0800 1/25/08, Kon Wilms wrote:
Get off your high horse -- and stop with the insinuations and just
plain old making things up to try and make some sort of a point. And
by the way, was I even having a discussion with you?

Sorry if I came across a little strident. I have been very frustrated with this whole notion that the Federal Government should be involved in local emergency response, before or after the emergency. We are paying significantly higher taxes than when I was a teenager, and we are getting far less for our tax dollar.

As for the discussion, it was about radio versus TV during times of emergency.

The only one trying to 'educate' here is you, Craig. I gave my
*opinion* and I believe it to be well-informed.

You're not the only person having to deal with storms, tornadoes and
other bad weather situations. Floods (the kind where your house moves
off the foundation) were a yearly occurrence when I lived and grew up
in South Africa. Shoveling mud was just another thing that people
'did'. Then I moved to Malaysia and the floods got worse (rental cars
floating in water, etc.). Then my family moved in part to Bermuda and
I think you know all too well that many hurricanes destined for your
neck of the woods hit them first.

I suspect that everyone on this list has endured some kind of emergency situation. I also had to endure some California winter storms that were every bit as destructive as hurricanes here in Florida.

We agree that emergency announcement systems can be improved. But the messages need to get out via EVERY available conduit, as there is no what to predict what people will be doing at any given time.

Three years of committee work of which I was a member and contributor
yielded this:
http://xml.coverpages.org/ni2005-09-08-a.html
and then a few more for this:
http://xml.coverpages.org/edxl.html

The fed and states are adopting it as part of NIMS. It's already being
deployed in the fed, state, military, and wild -- and even to DTV
stations in part (those folks who got a LII mux installed as part of
an alerting project will know what I'm talking about). Talk to any
state, local or other agency involved with that spec and be sure to
tell them you think it is useless and that a radio and knock on the
door are the best and only solutions for the simple reason that they
worked for you so therefore they should work for everyone across the
board.

And be sure to tell that to the deaf folks as well.

Good luck with that.

IIRC TWC uses data in part sourced from NOAA which is now rolled out
on CAP over EMWIN. Thanks for proving my point even though I didn't
mention that. Funny how that works, huh?

*All* available mechanisms for information dissemination should be
utilized to their full extent in a time of emergency. To ignore them
just breeds ignorance in the populace.

Agreed!