[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 18:10:14 -0500

Barry Brown wrote:

> Right, just not as convenient as flipping a switch on a
> battery operated TV set. I've done some searching and there
> doesn't seem to be a lot of portable ATSC receivers floating
> around either at this time. It would be nice if the $40
> vouchers could be used to offset the cost this type of product
> in addition to the converter.

Not a lot, perhaps, but there are small, portable, battery-powered ATSC
sets out there. As of now, they seem to require quite a few AA cells, or
you can plug them into a car's cigarette lighter socket.

Best Buy used to sell one model, but I don't find it there anymore.
Still too soon for people to get serious about battery-powered DTV, I
guess. It'll happen, though.

But here's a web site that sells several models, along with a 10-AA-cell
battery pack, and a bigger battery pack for more viewing time.

http://www.lcddigital.tv/battery.html

Oh, and take a look at this solar-powered battery charger.

http://www.lcddigital.tv/solar.html

The trend in ATSC demods has been one of falling power specs. This is
bound to continue for some time.