[opendtv] Re: News: DTV Converter Box announcements

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:11:31 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
> If you have a laptop computer, you might consider an ATSC tuner that
> plugs in via USB.

That certainly seems the simplest solution to me. But I have numerous battery backed computer UPS's around and could power a laptop for quite awhile that way if I didn't first exhaust them on other things.

- Tom

At 10:43 AM -0500 1/28/08, Barry Brown wrote:

On Jan 27, 2008, at 9:16 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

At 1:43 PM -0500 1/26/08, Cliff Benham wrote:

Whether you think so or not, a portable TV that can receive current information in an emergency situation is a necessity, not a nicety.

It is ONE of many sources of information. It is NOT a necessity, any more than cable or DBS are a necessity. There are two real issues here:

1. Is SOMEONE in your community providing the emergency information you need during a crisis?

2.Do you have the ability to receive this information.

When power is out, cable and DBS are not available, unless you have a local power source and then good luck with cable. For most folk, there is no other option except receiving local channels OTA using a battery operated TV. In these situations, I would believe that locals are providing emergency information. Therefore battery operated ATSC receivers will almost be a necessity in 2009.

I do not disagree in principle. I would note that generators often allow folks to watch OTA TV after an emergency.

The real question is what kinds of devices will appear next year to fill this market need?

My educated guess is that we are not going to see many full featured 8-VSB portables, although we may see units that will support both 8-VSB and whatever MPH standard the ATSC approves.

If you have a laptop computer, you might consider an ATSC tuner that plugs in via USB.

Tom Barry                  trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx