[opendtv] Re: New Mobile HDTV Device Allows Consumers to Receive High-Definition and Digital Cable Broadcasts on Laptops

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:25:34 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> However, I will state categorically that not one single ATSC
> receiver manufactured or prototyped today works as well as a
> 1999 vintage cobbled together DVB-T box did in Baltimore, nor
> as well as a prototype truly mobile HM-COFDM receiver did in
> Las Vegas in 2000, nor as well as diversity COFDM receivers
> did in NYC in 2004.

First, we don't have DVB-T's COFDM here, so "we" have to make 8-VSB
work. All the rest is just idle talk, at this point. If adding some
modes after the fact is one way to achieve this, so be it.

Second, and I should have mentioned this yesterday, I wonder what the LG
5th gen, even without the dynamic echo tolerance figures of the Samsung
Gemini, would do in true mobile use if it had diversity antennas.
Diversity antennas should be much more beneficial to 8-VSB than they are
to COFDM. Diversity antennas would relieve a lot of stress from the
equalizer.

> Argue all you wish about a theoretical 2 dB advantage

I'm sure you are deliberately misrepresenting this, since we have just
finished discussing the point.

The theoretical advantage you mention is 4 dB. This means, according to
Sinclair, that in theory it would require 2.51 times as much power to
achieve the same range, at a given spectral efficiency, comparing 8-VSB
with COFDM.

The 2 dB figure was the actual advantage measured in the field by
Sinclair, comparing COFDM receivers of 1999 to 1st gen 8-VSB receivers
of the time. While it would be instructive to re-test, e.g. with the
current LG versions of both COFDM and 8-VSB, no one has done this. No
one has done this. I repeat.