[opendtv] Re: New Mobile HDTV Device Allows Consumers to Receive High-Definition and Digital Cable Broadcasts on Laptops

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 18:57:21 -0400

Mark -

I thought someone reported on this list that if an OTA station started promoting OTA then the cable companies would threaten to cancel advertising, or maybe otherwise be less cooperative.

Will that be a problem?

- Tom

Mark Aitken wrote:
THIS IS THE PROBLEM (to a LARGE degree)! Mention TV to almost anyone, and it is:

   1. cable
   2. satellite
   3. Internet
   4. DVD
   5. HDTV
   6. all of the above..

...but it is rarely "OTA", and perhaps most importantly "FREE".

I am in the process of preparing a regular segment for our stations (hope it flies!). I have yet to get to the point of what it should be called, but I am leaning towards 'Antenna TV- Back to the Future'. People are AMAZED that one can (still) get television signals seemingly out of nowhere. Then tell them that you can get HDTV (out of nowhere) and they are dumbfounded (after they get back some of their senses, they usually want to know more...).

This industry (ALL OF IT) needs to change the understanding of the everyone, if it is to survive (and I would add, flourish!).

Mark
OTA Evangelist

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

This is the problem, as far as I can tell. A strangely ignorant public,
whose ignorance can only be assumed to be fostered by the industry
itself. Retailers, CE vendors, even broadcasters. How else to explain
the above quote?

<> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><> ><>
Regards,
Mark A. Aitken
Director, Advanced Technology
<><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><   <><
===================================
Sinclair Broadcast Group
10706 Beaver Dam Road
Hunt Valley, MD 21030
===================================

"As far as the laws of mathematics
refer to reality, they are not certain,
and as far as they are certain,
they do not refer to reality."

------- Albert Einstein-------

===================================

"I like nonsense—it wakes up the brain cells.
Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living.
It's a way of looking at life through the
wrong end of a telescope...and that enables
you to laugh at all of life's realities."

~ ~ Theodor S. Geisel, a.k.a. "Dr. Seuss" ~ ~

Business TEL: (410) 568-1535
Business MOBILE: (443) 677-4425
Business FAX: (410) 568-1580
E-mail: maitken@xxxxxxxxxx