[opendtv] Re: New Mobile HDTV Device Allows Consumers to Receive High-Definition and Digital Cable Broadcasts on Laptops

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 10:35:34 -0400

Mark Aitken wrote:

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/1
0-17-2006/0004453407&EDATE=

The referenced articles explain that this is an LG 5th gen based design,
and the performance even in Manhattan appears to be as Mark Schubin
described for the LG prototype STB. It also works for analog and digital
cable TV (I don't think it has a CableCard feature).

So aside from the small form factor, these devices have been around for
some time. The Forbes article says, "But sales of the devices have been
hampered by limited distribution and virtually no marketing."

The Display Daily article says, "This company enables HD on the PC using
portable HD tuners that get their signals not over the internet (IPTV)
but over the air (OTA). (For those of you too young to remember, OTA is
the old-fashioned way of receiving TV signals, popular before the age of
satellites and cable delivery.)"

This is the problem, as far as I can tell. A strangely ignorant public,
whose ignorance can only be assumed to be fostered by the industry
itself. Retailers, CE vendors, even broadcasters. How else to explain
the above quote?

Much the same as HD Radio, IMO. By the way, I called Sangean last night.
They said the HDT-1 stereo tuner would be in their warehouses end of
November, and in stores by December. Cutting pretty darned close for the
holidays, but still good news. I wonder if many other companies will
also market these, with their brand names on them, in the same time
frame?

I'd love to see some mention of mobile reception capability, especially
when the Samsung Gemini starts appearing in these devices. The Gemini
chip measures quite a bit better than the LG in terms of dynamic echo
tolerance, so that ought to help.