[opendtv] Re: New Mobile HDTV Device Allows Consumers to Receive High-Definition and Digital Cable Broadcasts on Laptops

  • From: Mark Aitken <maitken@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 17:13:49 -0400

Portable is a definite (in ATSC 'speak'). I've talked to the COO/President and he seems like a straight shooter FWIW. I would characterize this "mobile" being used by them (AutumnWave) as being innocent. "Not plugged in to ATSC 'speak'". I will give a full report of this units performance soon. A FAR cry better than the FugiPlus unit I have. It is a (seemingly) very good performer, based on very preliminary input. Got to hit the streets of Baltimore to confirm...

It has a "real" 'tin can' front end, and some quite sophisticated  feedback to drive the appropriate stages of  a "real" tuner.

From M-W...

Main Entry: 1mo·bile
Pronunciation: 'mO-b&l, -"bI-&l also -"bEl
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English mobyll, from Anglo-French moble, from Latin mobilis, from movEre to move
1 : capable of moving or being moved : MOVABLE <a mobile missile launcher>
2 a : changeable in appearance, mood, or purpose <mobile face> b : ADAPTABLE, VERSATILE
3 : MIGRATORY
4 a : characterized by the mixing of social groups b : having the opportunity for or undergoing a shift in status within the hierarchical social levels of a society <socially mobile workers>
5 : marked by the use of vehicles for transportation <mobile warfare>
6 : of or relating to a mobile
7 : CELLULAR 3 <a mobile phone>
- mo·bil·i·ty /mO-'bi-l&-tE/ noun

Regards, Mark
"Getting less defensive about terms, more focused on results"

John Shutt wrote:
Thanks, Bob.

In other words, the CES term would not be "mobile" it would be "portable."

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>